Rules for me to live by:
1. Be optimistic. Say positive things. One of the things I hate the most is hearing someone always point out the bad about EVERY thing. You may think bad things but you don't always have to say them. Am I sometimes negative? Absolutely. Do I want to be negative less often? Absolutely. I notice when I'm around people that are so positive and I wish I could be around people like that all the time. I wish I was positive all the time. But I can work on it because I think that's one of the first steps to being a GOOD person. A handful of people I am thinking of now that stand out all have one thing in common- they're Christians. This wasn't the point of my post but I just realized it. One is a friend's mom who is a Christian, one is the mentor teacher I student taught with at a Christian school, the other is a student at a different Christian school, one is the bible study leader I had last fall, & the others are a part of my MOPS group at Central Baptist Church and are all Christians.
2. Don't judge people. Am I guilty of this? Every day. But I can try to be better at it & especially not voice judgmental opinions to others. BTW we're not perfect either so don't expect every one else to be.
3. Forgive. Unfortunately this one is a tough one for me. I wish it wasn't but forgiveness is a struggle. However, if you don't forgive you just relive it over and over. It's better for your heart to forgive and it's better for your relationships to forgive.
4. Communicate. This is something I had to learn. I learned through life (especially teenage years and up) that in order to have good relationships you have to communicate. It's not always fun to tell people how you feel or hear how they feel but if you want to keep a good relationship it's a must. I know adults that don't communicate well and we wonder why the divorce rate is 50%? It's not only marriages either. It's all relationships. If you want to have a good relationship with your child then TALK about things. TO THEM.
5. Be happy with your life. Look at all your blessings and don't focus on what's missing, what might have been, or what could become of the future. Love the now. Remember happiness is something we create.
6. Be a Christian. Pray daily & talk to God about what's on your mind. All I can say is I can become a better Christian and I want to & then there's people that aren't, don't plan to, and you can tell they aren't from being around them for a half hour. I want people to be around me for a half hour and know I have some Jesus in me. PLEASE- get some Jesus in you & let's both try to be GOOD people. It's never too late to start.
That's all for now. That's plenty to work on and live by for now. :)